Friday, May 4, 2012

Listen to Your Elders


I just came across a wonderful story...
“My wife and I bought our home in 1967. We raised a family and paid off our mortgage. It’s going to be the only real asset we will pass on to our kids. But really, that house IS our family- all the memories. Buying a house is the best thing a family can do.”
“We paid $29,000 for our home in 1969. It’s worth about $500,000 now. We should have sold it for $600,000 a few years back, but still, it was a great investment.”
“We refinanced our home twice- once for improvements and once to pay for our kids’ college education. It was the only way we could have afforded college in 1985. I can’t imagine how people pay for it today.”
“When my husband passed here years ago, I took out a reverse mortgage to help make ends meet. I was also able to give some money to my granddaughter to use for a down payment on a new home for her family. I like seeing the results of my giving, while I am here to enjoy it.”
It was great to hear those who have done it are glad they did. If you are still debating a purchase (with these great prices and low rates), maybe you need to sit and chat with some seniors- people whose experience you can learn from.

No comments:

Post a Comment